Yes, flowers are a crowd favourite, but they wither so fast! Why not switch the traditional bouquet for a house plant that will last a few years longer? A croton, Dwarf palmetto or lush fern are only examples. A few bamboo shoots for luck, health and wealth can also do the trick! A little exoticism is most welcomed! For spring and winter, choose a rose-bush or a shrub that she will be able to plant in the garden and that will remind her of her newborn each and every year.
For the "stylish" mom, hire a wardrobe consultant that will give her tips with her clothes. Some companies such as Shopping… à la carte! offer such services. A real mood booster! Pair your gift with a spa, massage, haircut, manicure and pedicure combo. Or offer her a gift certificate to her favourite store or a specific mall. The Cadillac Fairview malls offer the Carte Shopping! which can be used in more than 4,000 stores and 28 malls across Canada. Even if she can only buy one piece of clothing, she will feel beauiful and be radiant! Who could resist it?
Home care services
The "totale" is one of the many services proposed by La Pouponnière mobile, a company that offers various quality home care services. To really pamper a new mom, what better way than to give her the deeply relaxing VIP treatment. The name alone makes you feel better already. It includes 16 hours of "helping out" services, 6 hours of food preparation, 1 hour of massage therapy and 4 hours of baby massage classes.
Get the new mom a subscription! Does she raid every magazine stand? Get her a subscription to her two favourite ones! She will think of you every month! Offer her a quality bubble bath and allow her to relax in warm and perfumed water while reading her favourite magazine. As an added touch of humor, make her a "do not disturb" sign to hang on the bathroom door.
Do you have time? Perfect! She needs it! Ready to spend a "basket" day with her? First, show up one morning after dad has left for work with a complete "breakfast" basket: muffin, croissant, freshly ground coffee, orange juice, fruits, jam, etc. Then give her a "beauty" basket with bubble bath, shower gel, atomizer, self-tanning lotion, day cream, night cream, hand cream, foot products, nail polish, etc. Ask her to go in the bathroom for 1 or 2 hours while you take over. Next up, a "grocery" basket! Grab her list and go buy what she needs, and while you're at it, bring her back a nice lunch! Keep giving her surprise baskets throughout the day.
You can also offer to babysit for a few hours when the baby gets home so she can spend some quality time outside with her special someone. You can also babysit her other kids so mommy can spend some time with her newborn…
Offering to help decorate the baby's room is also an excellent idea. A day with a group of friends to paint and decorate the room while mommy sits back and watches people hard at work.
Bring her homemade frozen meals so she doesn't have to cook and prepare meals for a while. Single portions are very convenient.
To avoid having to go out and buy some for a long time! Some people also write motivating messages on the diapers, which can be very comforting at 3:12 in the morning!
Gift certificates are a good way to make the new mom happy without forcing her to a choice of products or care services. So get her a gift certificate for...
- A massage for mom, to relax either before or after giving birth.
- A restaurant that offers delivery... you never know when that will come in handy.
- A photoshoot with the baby.
- A pharmacy... so much time and money spent there!
- A caterer (e.g.: mamaluv) so she can order what she wants, when she wants. After all, she deserves to be spoiled a little.
- A baby store.
- Mom's usual hairdresser.
Other bulk ideas
- Does she like to keep in shape? Get her a gym subscription with you!
- Would she like to start scrapbooking? Get her into a class!
- Jewellery to make this important moment immortal!
- A reading lamp so she can have enough light at night to watch over her newborn or read next to him.
- A digital camera to keep precious moments forever.
- Facial care or pedicure.
- A very comfy rocking chair to rest before the baby comes, and to rock him afterwards.
- Is she giving birth in spring or summer? Encourage her to participate in the Agriculture program supported by the Équiterre community so she can get fresh fruits and vegetables. She will either receive a basket at home or have to pick it up at a nearby drop point.
- If the baby comes during the colder months, buy a fondue or a raclette kit with a chocolate or maple fondue kit as a special bonus. And of course, you will offer to babysit the kids! Warmth and earthly delights will be on the menu.