Safety

20 plants to be wary about

We love our plants and flowers with all their beautiful colors! They add life to our décor and freshen the air. But are they all safe for the kids? Here are a few plants that should be placed on the top shelf…

Aloe (Aloe Vera)

Effect if swallowed: nonfatal

Acts as a laxative, or purgative, may also cause kidney inflammation.

It is a glycoside: it becomes toxic when the sugar molecule is eliminated, like when digested.

Amaryllis (amaryllis)

Effect if swallowed: nonfatal

Causes nausea and vomiting 

 

 

Caladium or elephant ears (caladium)

Effect when ingested: (Children are attracted by the flowers and colourful leaves), nonfatal

In case of ingestion, the leaves can cause burning, swelling and suffocation

Decorative Chilli (capsicum annuum)

Effect when ingested: Irritation, vomiting and diarrhea

Very toxic

Dieffenbachia (dieffenbachia)

Effect when ingested: once in the mouth and swallowed, the toxic substances contained by its leaves can pierce the mouth, throat and digestive tract and cause an intense burning sensation, swelling and choking.

In high doses, it can cause serious digestive problems, breathing difficulties, convulsions, coma and death (in very high doses).

Very toxic​

Poinsettia (poinsettia)

Effect when ingested: vomiting, nausea and diarrhea

Manipulation can cause skin irritation, blisters and eye irritation.

Children and adults sometimes the seed capsules, which resemble capers, with edible fruits from other plants.

Philodendron (philodendron)

Effect when ingested: burning, swelling and suffocation

Skin contact with the sap may cause a very unpleasant skin rash

Very toxic

Azalea (rhododendron albiflorum)

Effect when ingested: burning sensation in the mouth, diarrhea, abdominal pain and tremors, which can be followed by severe neurological and cardiovascular problems.

Umbrella tree (schefflera arboricola)

Its black fruits are toxic when ingested and its sap irritates the skin

 

Jerusalem Cherry Tree (solanum pseudocapsicum)

Ingestion only causes gastrointestinal effects without gravity

Its leaves, as well as its fruits (ripe or not), are toxic

 

 

This week

Comments