There are several ways to get fit or lose weight after childbirth. As stated in my previous article, the best way to lose weight is to combine breastfeeding with physical activity. After that, it really is your lifestyle that will make a difference. But to do that, you need your spouse’s help to take care of the baby while you exercise and spend a maximum of calories to get back into shape!
Obviously, if your spouse works during the day, it is not really an option. You have to do chores around the house while looking after your little one, and when he’s sleeping, you can relax a little. In this case, exercising during the day will be more difficult. But there is a common practice around the world: the baby sling.
Very useful reasons to carry your baby
This practice, which is now a little more common among Westerner, will allow you to have a much greater autonomy. You can go about your business while having your little one with you, and that's the good side of it. Why not do your workout with your baby with you then? That's how you’ll get to exercise while enjoying many other advantages. However, women who had a C-section should start doing it later. But don’t worry, it’s only until the stitches have healed well. Doctors are now recommending that women go back to their activities as soon as possible, so that they don’t have the reflex to bend at the waist unnecessarily and prevent the stretching of the scar.
Benefits of walking
Walking is a very good activity to get back into shape after childbirth. It’s a really interesting and practical activity because:
- you can do it everywhere;
- it’s free;
- it allows you to discover your neighbourhood;
- risk of injury is virtually nonexistent;
- you can do it at your own pace.
Although it may seem like a less intense activity, the important thing is to do it daily. Given that most of you will be off work for a while, is the ideal time to do it. It takes motivation, but you will be able to do it. The body will respond better to a daily demand in energy than to only 2-3 times per week. In addition, you will feel the health benefits more quickly.
Practical side of walking with baby
- You can do your shopping without having to carry your baby in his seat and set him up in the car, which will also allow you to save a lot of time.
- You reduce your fuel costs. It is also good for the environment.
- It allows you to get some fresh air and see something else during your day!
- It’s another way to send baby to sleep and for him to feel safe..
- It allows you to get more vitamin D in winter, which has many health benefits. It increases calcium absorption, reduces the risk of depression and prevents against osteoporosis to name just a few.
These are just some examples to show that walking can bring you much more than you think. Just start doing it and you'll discover so many beautiful things.
Benefits for the baby
Many young mothers are afraid of not giving enough to their child, doing the wrong things, having the wrong methods, in short, of not being up to par. Baby slings have many benefits:
- it increases the child’s feeling of comfort and safety;
- it creates a bond of trust between mother and child;
- it keeps the baby warm;
- it allows mothers to realize any changes quickly: hunger or a full diaper, for example;
- and it helps strengthen the baby’s neck, which is not always very strong at a young age.
Once again, you can see that using a baby carrier has many benefits for the baby. In addition, it allows you to do the chores that need to be done in the house.