“Health is not a gift, but something each person is responsible for through his or her own daily effort." - Ryuseki Nakayama
Health is what you should hope for and consider. There are various ways to improve your fitness while still having fun!
What are the benefits of physical activity?
Regular physical activity, both muscular and cardio-vascular, can allow you to :
- Have more energy
- Better react to stress
- Sleep better
- Better manage your weight
- Be physically and mentally healthier.
Being physically active reduces the risks of health problems such as hyertension, diabetes, depression and obesity.
Physical activity increases muscular endurance, flexibility, strength and balance.
To maximize your athletic performances, every component of your body must be in perfect condition and work together.
Make a habit of getting in shape. If you don’t do any activity, start with fifteen minutes a day. Doing a specific activity is all you need to develop good habits. Three aspects should be taken into account when trying to improve your general fitness: cardio-vascular health, strength training and flexibility.
Endurance activities promote a healthy heart and lungs. Walking is the easiest way to improve your cardio1. Endurance activities give you energy. Cycling, swimming, skating, playing tennis and gardening are all good examples of activities you can do and enjoy2.
Strenght training targets your muscular health.La musculation vise la santé des muscles. Stronger muscles contribute to joint health by providing better support. Healthy muscles and joints will help you accomplish all sorts of tasks more easily3.
Flexibility is linked to body movements. Good flexibility will help you avoid the feeling of stiffness and will allow you to bend, stretch and turn over more easily4.
Activities don’t have to be difficult. Just take the time to change your usual activities.
- Avoid taking the elevator when you can take the stairs.
- Avoid staying in the same position for long periods; get up and move around for a few minutes every hour.
- Stretch before going to bed.
- Play outside with your kids.
- Diet is also an important aspect to consider in a fitness program5.
- Put some colour on your plate! It will allow you to easily add vitamins, minerals and fibre to your meal.
- Reduce the amount of salt and sugar you add to your meals.
- Replace butter with vegetable oils (olive, canola, soy) when cooking.
- Enjoy a variety of foods from the 4 food groups.
- Drink water regularly.
- Drink cow or soy milk every day to have enough calcium in your body.
- Take a vitamin D supplement during the winter season6.
- Add tofu and ground flaxseed to your diet; they’re excellent sources of phytoestrogens, very important elements for women’s health.
- Eat fish such as salmon to increase you omega-3 intake.
The chiropractor’s role is to detect, correct and prevent joint restrictions and muscle strains. The treatments’ aim is to restore joint mobility and muscle flexibility, and reduce inflammation, which will thus help lower the pain. The chiropractor will also give you advice on how to strengthen your muscles, improve your posture and make general lifestyle changes. He can also help prevent injuries, treat them and restore your body to help you reach your fitness goals.
There are many ways to get in shape. Whether at the house or at the gym, it’s important to follow your own pace and have resting periods between sessions to allow your body to recover. Go outside and play with your children. There is nothing better than fresh air!
Enjoy your training!
- Canadian Chiropractic Association
- Public Health Agency of Canada
- Canadian Food Guide