To save, of course, but also to make a gesture towards saving the environment. Here is some amazing information on diapers!
Diapers in figures
For a year, a baby needs, on average, 2,190 disposable diapers (365 days x 6 diapers).
- Up to 30 months old, this equals 5,475 diapers, the equivalent of four or five trees! According to the information circulating, one billion trees are cut every year around the world to make disposable diapers.
- All disposable diapers used in Quebec put end to end would make six times around the Earth.
- There is 10 times more diaper rash than 50 years ago when only cloth diapers existed.
Elimination of disposable diapers
A disposable diaper requires between 300 and 500 years to decompose in nature. In addition, few people know that throwing stool in the garbage is forbidden. Feces should be put in the toilet to prevent the proliferation of bacteria and viruses that present a real environmental hazard.
Disposable diapers are the third most commonly discarded item after newspapers and containers for beverages and food.
Estimated cost for a period of 30 months
- Disposable diapers: $ 1,500
- Cloth diapers: $ 750
It is estimated that 9% of Quebec families use cloth diapers.
What are the diapers made of?
The washable diapers are made of natural fibers, usually cotton, but also bamboo. Natural fibers breathe more than the products used in disposable diapers, so the temperature inside is lower and there is less risk of contamination.
Also, with cloth diapers, we know when it is soiled right away. With a washable diaper, the baby does not stay in a moist environment for too long, which is conducive to diaper rash. This also encourages the baby to become clean sooner than with the superabsorbent diapers, because the little one does not even realize that they are wet.
Some exterior coverings are made of nylon or plastic. There are also diaper covers with elastic waist and thighs that prevent leaks.
In the manufacturing of disposable diapers, there is bleached wood pulp, plastic and chemicals. Often, disposable diapers are preferred because they are very absorbent. It should be noted that sodium polyacrylate crystals - the same crystals responsible for the toxic shock of sanitary tampons - are used to increase the rate of absorption, and these are often responsible for irritations and skin reactions.
The choice of cloth diapers
If you have decided to embark on the adventure of cloth diapers, you will have to choose between several models. There are flat diapers that you need to fold or form-fitting cloth diapers, which are very similar to disposable diapers with velcro or snaps. But there are multiple models and each has their advantages and disadvantages.
Also, be aware that most brands of cloth diapers offer thin lining pads that you place at the bottom of the diaper. They are not absorbent, but they protect fabric, reduce rubbing and rinsing time and prevent stool from sticking to the diaper. Also, you can coat diapers with a diaper cover to limit leakage.
A few small actions you can do for a greater concern for the environment according to the layers you use!
- Wait until you have a lot of diapers to wash before doing a full load
- Hang the diaper to air dry
- Try to introduce cloth diapers into your routine by using both: cloth at home and disposable at night or when you go out
- Throw the stool in the toilet, as you would with a washable diaper.