Essentials for breastfeeding
- A nursing pillow: so you and baby can be comfortable during these special moments
- A breast pump with accessories: to be able to collect your milk and store it, stimulate your production or to allow daddy to give the baby a bottle from time to time.
- Nursing pads: to avoid stains on your shirts that are caused by leaking milk.
- Lanolin based cream: There are several brands of this cream that helps relieve and heal sensitive or cracked nipples that can occur when you are learning to breastfeed.
Essentials for diaper changes
- Diaper bag: it’s essential because it allows you to store all your accessories in one place so you can always have them on hand whether at home or out for the day.
- Changing table: Make sure the one you choose is safe. We also recommend getting one that has storage for diapers and accessories.
- Diapers: Get a good supply from the start; newborns can actually use up to 10 to 12 diapers a day!
- Wipes: it’s always a good idea to have a few packs of wipes to be well prepared in case of unexpected diarrhea.
- Rash cream: Newborns bottoms are especially prone to irritation, so we suggest you choose a good cream to soothe and protect the skin.
Essentials for bath time
- Newborn bath: There are many models, some you can install in your sink while others rest in your bath. They are made specifically to support baby comfortably while you are giving them a bath.
- Mild soap: choose a mild soap made for babies to avoid drying their skin and making it susceptible to irritations.
- Thermometer: To ensure the bath water is not too hot or too cold; the temperature of the water should be between 35 and 38 Celsius.
- Baby towel: To make sure baby is warm when they get out of the bath. We like the models with hats or even sleeves that really protect baby from the cold.
Essentials for sleep
- Baby Monitor: if your baby is sleeping in their room, you can get a monitor that allows you to listen to what is going on in their room if they wake up. Some monitors are even equipped with a video camera.
- Sleeping bag: as babies tend to fidget in their crib and get cold because their covers are no longer protecting them from the cold, we suggest you use a baby sleeping bag to keep them warm at night.
- Night-light: To reassure baby when they wake up at night. Some models also offer sounds or songs to soothe baby back to sleep.
Essentials for the daily routine
- Stroller: the stroller will be useful for a long time and allow you to take walks around the neighborhood with your newborn to get some air and some exercise in.
- A baby carrier: Newborns love to be held; it reassures them and it offers a great opportunity for bonding. Your baby carrier will also be indispensable when colics come around!
- A swing: The swing is really practical when you want to set down the baby for a nap while you go about your responsibilities around the house.
- A play mat: When baby is awake, put them on a play mat to stimulate them with all the beautiful colors, shapes and sounds.
- Thermometer: if your baby is sick, it’s important to monitor their temperature regularly with a good thermometer.
- Mittens: small baby mittens that are designed to prevent them from scratching their face with their tiny nails when they have jerky movements.