What can I do as a parent?
Here are some suggestions that could help you better manage stress1,3.
- Take care of your environment: colour, lighting and noise are all factors that can influence your mood. Arrange the rooms in the house so that they feel soothing. Add plants, odours…
- Do not stress on things on which you have no control over
- Try to solve conflicts
- Try visualisation exercises to help you face stressful situations
- Ask for help! It is not as sign of weakness, but rather a sign of courage
- Set realistic goals; you do not always have to be supermom
- Do physical activity, go outdoors, do breathing exercises
- Eat well, drink water and sleep
- Take time for yourself, allow yourself a few minutes to do something you love every day
- Learn to set your limits and respect them
- Identify your priorities and put them in order
Taking care of your health also means finding a healthy way to manage stress. Take care of yourself…
- Figaro Magazine, octobre 1999
- Canadian paediatric society