Canada Child Tax Benefit (CCTB)

The Canada Child Tax Benefit  is a monthly tax-free benefit given to eligible families to help them meet the needs of their children under 18 years of age.

Government Level

Federal (Canada Revenue Agency)

What is it?

The Canada Child Tax Benefit is given over a 12-month period, from July to June of the following year.

For whom?

The CCTB is given to the person mainly responsible for the child’s care and education. When parents (woman and man) live under the same roof as the child, the woman is considered the person mainly responsible for the child’s care and education. However, the father, grandparents or a legal tutor can fill out a demand.


You must fill out the RC66 Benefit Application from the time your child is born or as soon as he/she starts living with you. In addition to filling out this application, both parents must fill out an Income Tax Return Declaration every year since the amount given depends directly on the child’s responsible person's net income. You need your social security number to make a demand to the CCTB.

How much?

The amount is calculated by taking into account the number and age of your kids, the province you live in and your family’s annual income. To get an idea of the CCTB amount you are entitled to, you can use the calculator available on the Canada Revenue Agency website (CRA).

The benefit amount progressively decreases when the family’s total income exceeds 40,970$.


Starting amount of a child – 18 years old

$ 1,348.00  per year

$ 112.33  per month

3rd child or more (add to the starting amount)

$ 94.00  extra

$ 7.83  per month

If you are a low-income family (annual income under $ 23,855), you may be eligible for the National Child Benefit Supplement (NCBS). For a family with one child, this amount can reach $ 2,088 per year ($ 174 per month) in 2010-2011.

  • The CCTB is tax free.
  • Fill out a CCTB demand even if you are not sure if you're eligible because of your family’s income. Your benefit will be revised in July of every year based on your family’s revenue declaration. 

You can get more information about the CCTB by visiting the CCTB website.

Image de Sonia Cosentino

This week
Getting baby ready for winter

Here you go! The time has come to bravely face the cold and snow. You’re not the only one who has to go through the hassles of winter... your baby does too!

10 ways to enjoy the snow at home

The schools are closed and the kids can’t stand still because they’re eager to go play outside... sounds like a snow day! Dress them up warm... here are 10 great ideas for fun in the snow!  

10 Museums to discover with the kids

Do you want to initiate your kids to the wonderful world of museums and all they have to offer? Here is a list of museums that have dedicated activities and expositions specifically for families!

Most common New Year's resolutions

On January 1st of every year, most of us make resolutions. We want to start over, lose bad habits and adopt a healthier lifestyle. Here are some of the most common resolutions we've heard of!