Activities

Fun and Safe Holiday Season

The Christmas tree, lights, toys, and gifts need ongoing attention to avoid incidents that could ruin our holidays.
 

Holiday Tree

If you use a real tree:

  • Choose one that is fresh (needles are hard to pull off and do not break when bent).
  • Add water daily.
  • Keep the tree secured in a sturdy tree stand.
  • Place the tree away from traffic areas, doorways, heating vents, radiators, stoves, fireplaces and burning candles.
  • Choose tinsel, artificial icicles and other trimmings made of plastic or non-leaded metals. Leaded materials are hazardous if ingested by children.
  • Avoid trimmings that are sharp and breakable or have small removable parts if small children are around.
Toys and Gifts
  • Select only toys suitable for the child's age group, and make sure to read and follow all instructions.
  • Toys with small parts are dangerous for children under three years of age. Keep them out of their reach.
  • Make sure batteries in toys for young children are properly installed and not accessible to the child. A child should not take battery-operated toys to bed.
  • Dispose of packing materials (such as Styrofoam pellets and plastic bags) quickly. Children can choke on these items.
  • Keep cosmetics (such as perfume, aftershave, and nail polish remover), medications, and household cleaners out of children's sight and reach and away from heat sources.
  • If using cosmetics for the first time, place a small amount on the back of the hand for a couple of hours. Redness or swelling may indicate an allergy and the product should not be used.
Safety First!
  • Keep lighters and matches out of reach of children.
  • Trimmings and candles that look or smell like food or candy should be kept away from children. These products are attractive to children and may cause choking if they try to eat them.
Candles
  • Do not leave burning candles unattended.
  • Use sturdy candle holders that won't easily tip over.
  • Keep burning candles out of the reach of children, and away from pets, trees, decorations and wrapping paper.
Holiday Lights
  • Use only lights that are certified by a recognized organization (CSA, ULC or cUL) to decorate your home.
  • Use indoor lights for inside the home and outdoor lights for outside the home.
  • Check all light bulbs before use. Replace broken or burnt out light bulbs with those recommended by the manufacturer.
  • Check light strings and extension cords. Discard any that are frayed or have exposed wires, loose connections, or broken light sockets. Never run electrical cords through doorways or under carpets.
  • Do not overload electrical outlets. Use more than one outlet if the wattage of your lights is more than the outlet can handle.
  • Keep bubbling light bulbs away from children. They contain a hazardous chemical which may cause irritation or chemical burns if the bulb breaks and the chemical is released.
  • Turn off all holiday lights before you go to bed or leave your home.

This article comes from Health Canada website.

This week

Comments