Whatever the reason for his voracious appetite, there are several strategies you can use to ensure you are providing a healthy food environment for your child to help him learn how to make the right choices:
- As a preventive measure, it’s important to always respect your child’s natural signals of hunger and satiety in order to avoid distorting them in the future.
- Remember that you are in control of what is being served to your child and which foods he has access to in the house. Just as it can be difficult for us to resist the temptation of a chocolate bar hidden in the pantry, you can’t blame a child for choosing the cookies instead of the apple for dessert. For this reason, it’s important to make good food choices and to offer a healthy and varied selection.
- Set a good example by making healthier food choices yourself.
- Some children eat a lot because they eat really fast. Teach your kids to eat slowly, to chew well and to enjoy the flavors.
- Avoid focusing too much on how much they are eating, do portion control or restrict certain foods, as it will make this a negative experience for your child.
- In case of doubt, you can consult a nutritionist who can help you determine if your child’s food intake is adequate for his needs and who can give you tips on how to improve his diet.